Avoid Identity Thieves This Holiday Season With These Tips
Safely cross everything off your holiday shopping list with these tips.
While you are shopping for the perfect gifts for your loved ones this holiday season, identity thieves are gearing up for one of their busiest times of the year. To help keep your personal information safe this season, keep these holiday shopping identity theft prevention tips in mind.
While heading to the mall:
- Only bring what you need – empty out your purse and wallet so that you only have the one credit card that you will be using. The less you bring with you, the less that will be stolen if you are targeted by a thief.
- Use the right ATM – avoid using free-standing ATMs, since they are more likely to have skimming equipment installed. Only use ATMs that are connected to a bank and always shield your PIN number when typing it in.
- Leave your Social Security Card at home – your should never keep your Social Security Card on you, especially when you are shopping in case someone gets a hold of your wallet or purse.
If you are shopping online:
- Use a secure site – before you enter in your credit card information, check the URL. Only use sites that start with “https” since the “s” shows that it is a secure connection.
- Update your software – having up to date software will do a much better job at keeping identity thieves at bay. Allowing your computer to automatically update will help to ensure that your virus protection software is always working its best to keep your information safe.
- Choose the right password – strong passwords are the best defense against identity thieves. Your password should contain uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols and not contain any personal information, such as your birthdate.
For more tips on keeping your personal information safe this holiday season, contact Proactive Networks in Pasadena, California.